
Annabel Croft is back for another year at Wimbledon just 14 months after her husband’s tragic death.
The 57-year-old former tennis ace, who competed on Strictly Come Dancing in 2023, turned radio and TV presenter will be once again reporting on all the action after the iconic tournament got underway on Monday.
She was the youngest Briton to compete at Wimbledon in 95 years, participating in the internationally recognised tournament at just 15 years old.
Last month, she admitted it was tough to go straight back to work after her husband’s death last year, but working on Wimbledon gave her a reason to focus.
‘I don’t actually know how I did it. I cried a lot, I cried every day. There were many times, even backstage, I’d be crying. Then it was extraordinary, how once I had to go out and do the job, I would just lock in to what I knew,’ she told the Mail.
Get personalised updates on Strictly
Wake up to find news on your TV shows in your inbox every morning with Metro’s TV Newsletter.
Sign up to our newsletter and then select your show in the link we’ll send you so we can get TV news tailored to you.
‘In many ways, the work was a respite from the terrible grief. It was a brain rest from crying.

‘People were so kind and so thoughtful and forgiving, they kept saying, “You’re doing such an amazing job and you’re so brave.” But it was a saviour to me, to work.’
So, who was Annabel’s husband, and what happened to him?
What happened to Annabel Croft’s husband?
Annabel Croft’s husband was named Mel Coleman.

Tragically, he died of cancer in May this year, aged 60 years old.
While Mel appears to have mainly avoided the spotlight, the Express reports that he was a professional yachtsman and investment banker – and that the couple married 31 years ago in 1993.
More Trending
Annabel and Mel had three children together – Charlie, Amber and Lily – and she previously admitted she was ‘heartbroken’ her husband didn’t get to see her on Strictly.


Speaking to The Mail on Sunday, the tennis star said: ‘Mel always loved Strictly. He’d cry watching it and I’m completely heartbroken he’s not here to watch with me.’
Meanwhile, being back around her ‘tennis family’ last summer – and this year – is a big lift for Annabel.
Deals of the Day
Abandoned department store transformed into the UK's biggest charity shop
Save £300 on the 'Ferrari of lawn mowers' that gardeners are calling 'unbelievable'
Tesco makes major change in stores as shoppers ask 'what's the point exactly?'
Suede jackets are taking over the fashion scene – here’s where to shop the staple
Burgundy bombers are everywhere – here are our favourite outerwear staples
She told the Mail: ‘It was helpful to have something to do and be surrounded by my tennis family, so many wonderful people who knew Mel. We were a double act. We grew together.’
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
MORE: Shirley Ballas declares she’ll stick by Giovanni Pernice ‘forever’ despite BBC Strictly ban
MORE: When are EastEnders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale on TV during the Euros and Wimbledon?
MORE: Meet the Wimbledon 2024 tennis presenters, commentators and pundits